A few weeks ago I was running so I was feeling good, spontaneuos, and in control of my life, so I thought "We should go to the beach this weekend". This weekend, meaning 4 days from that thought. So I ran home and told Josh my idea which was all planned out in my head (cause that's how I roll) and of course he was excited, who turns down a trip to the beach?
I made some hotwire hotel reservations and a few days later we were on our way! Paige had a fever for a few days leading up to the trip but I didn't think anything of it, obviously it would be gone by the time we left.
Since it was just a 2 night trip, we wanted to not lose the whole first day in travel so we awoke everyone really early and left for Carlsbad. The girls are great travelers, no crying, screaming complaining, even Paige was good! She still had her fever but she was acting okay.
Claire LOVED the beach. She was so brave this time! What a difference 2 years makes!
She was out boogie boarding every moment that Josh was able to go with her and watch her.
She dug for crabs,
dug holes and found some brittle fish with Dadda.
It was so fun to have a child that it is old enough to actually enjoy and appreciate the trip.
Joy liked it but was afraid of the ocean for the first 2 days.
She spent her time on the shore.
Her favorite thing to do was walk to the jetty and jump on top of all the rocks. To the end and back, over and over and over again.
When she got tired around her normal nap time, she would go in the little sun tent behind our chairs and fall asleep.
I got sick of the whining about water the last day and forced her to stand in up to her knees. There was crying and frantic attemps of escape but after about 10 minutes she started to like it and then decided the ocean was fun.
Paige, Little Paige who we thought would have a good time because she loves water and she loves to be outside was still sick. The first 2 days all she did was scream and nurse. She was almost weaned before this trip but not anymore! She literally nursed, and slept under a towel with me holding her for 98% of the day. The other 2% was her making an appearance from under the towel to scream and fall in the sand.
This went on for the first 2 days. The second day she broke out in a terrible rash and was even more cranky. looks at those legs!
And let me just say that the 2 nights in the hotel room were so terrible that I was SO close to telling Josh we needed to just go home at 2:30 in the morning. But we endured and thankfully we did because the last day her rash started to go away and she was a little happier.
ate solid food,
and was overall pretty good.
Josh has the amazing skill of being able to stay awake when driving at night (which I do not) so he drove home and we got back close to midnight. Phew! It was a memorable trip!