Joy

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

They Don't Make Them Like They Used To

I have been coveting my grandma's sewing machine ever since she moved out here and gave it to my mom. It is so solid and heavy, made completely of metal parts.

Not these flimsy plastic things that they make now days.


My machine had an episode a few months back where it just stopped working. I started to panic and tried several things to get it started again but nothing worked. I remembered what I learned from growing up with Nintendo - When all else fails, blow in it. So I did and miraculously it started working again. (and has worked well ever since) The event got me thinking about what would happen if my machine died on me... I would probably want a better quality one, I had asked for this one because I had no idea how sew when I got it 3 years ago and I didn't know if I ever would. I looked at some machines and the prices. Outrageous! I knew I would be out of luck and have to save for quite a while to get a new one.

Well, one day I stopped by Goodwill and look what I found!It is the exact same machine as my grandma's, in perfect condition and in the original cabinet. You can imagine my excitement when I saw the price, $34.99. I had a coupon so it came $27.99.

I was a little nervous that it would need servicing but when I tried it out I was shocked at how beautifully it runs. It makes the most lovely, quality humming sound.
I love it. Happy sewing to me!

4 comments:

  1. I am totally jealous...but really happy for you! That is AMAZING.

    I love the new picture on your blog, too. You couldn't have chosen a better one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous! That looks just like my mom's and grandmothers! You are so right on the quality. Stuff back then was made to last! SO happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of Claire and Joy is priceless!!!! I cracked up when you said that you just blew on the sewing machine and it started working. Ha Ha! I am so happy for you that you have a nice machine now. What a blessing! Happy sewing!!!

    ReplyDelete