Joy

Friday, June 26, 2009

Father's Day and Baking

Father's Day was low key for us since Josh is at church most of the day. He ended up winning the same prize as I did for Mother's Day (being a father the least amount of time) only he won a pie instead of flowers. It was actually more of a cheesecake. I don't know if he ate it or not come to think of it. It was store bought and looked gross. Claire and I picked out two new shirts and a tie for him at Goodwill. I also made him an apple pie - my first ever. I was pretty impressed with the way it came out actually. It was really good.

Here is Claire with her Dadda on Father's Day.
This week Claire and I have both been sick and stuck at home. Since Claire is a picky eater I decided to make the things she likes but make them better for her and with more good calories in them. Here is an EXCELLENT recipe for muffins I got from my mom that already is pretty healthy but I adapted it even more for Claire by using only whole wheat flour. They taste fantastic with or without the wheat flour. (I use the mini muffins tins for Claire's)


  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 T. buttermilk powder
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups raisin bran cereal
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
  • 3/4 cup grated carrots
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the egg, water and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple, carrots and walnuts. Fill paper-lined muffin cups or cups coated with nonstick cooking spray three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
  • Nutritional Analysis: One muffin equals 199 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.

I also made oatmeal cookies for her using the best oatmeal cookie recipe from Josh's mom. I left out all the butter and used applesauce and again I used the whole wheat flour. That of course tastes definitely not as good with no fat but Claire doesn't know. They are still sweet and shaped like cookies so she doesn't complain.

I was so excited. I was at Fry's and it is time to make more laundry soap because I am getting low (already! good thing it is so cheap) and Fry's didn't have Zote, they had Fels Naptha soap. I was happy because it smells a little more... I don't know, soap-like? Zote smelled okay but it is like no other smell I have smelled before.
The grating of the soap - It looks like cheese, I will remember this for future pranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment