Joy

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap

I have been wanting to try making homemade laundry detergent for quite some time but today I finally did it! I had one more loads worth of Tide left and so rather than get more Tide for $10 for 40 loads. I bought 1 bar of Zote ($1) and a box of borax ($2.78) I had a box of baking soda at home already but that would have been about $2.00. I felt like I was living in the prairie days as I was grating the soap (which is silly because if I were in the prairie days I would first be making the soap out of pig fat) but it was fun and it seriously only took about 5 minutes to complete the entire process.

4 cups Zote Soap finely grated - (1 bar)
2 cups Washing Soda or Baking Soda
2 cups Borax

  • Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
  • Use 2 tablespoons per full load.

After researching and doing the math it comes out to about 2.8 cents per load verses 25 cents with Tide. If I do 6 loads of laundry a week (remember I am washing diapers) it comes to Homemade = $8.73 a year and Tide = $78 a year.

I am doing a load of laundry right now to try it out. Hopefully there will not be any problems!

1 comment:

  1. OK I made some with 1/2 fels and 1/2 zote (that should be interesting.) what is that last picture of?

    ReplyDelete